Friday, August 13, 2010

Daily Art - Picture of a picture

Last night, husband and I went to the monthly downtown L.A. Artwalk again.  I was hoping to take more pictures to share with you all, so grabbed my camera bag on the way out the door.  Of course, when we got down there and I opened up the bag to get the camera and switch lenses, I realized that I'd actually left the camera body at home.  Typical me!

We walked around for a while, grabbed some food at one of the food trucks - an Asian fusion burrito with spicy pork for me - then started checking out some of the vendors.  We found a photographer selling canvas prints of photos that he's taken of various pieces done by the infamous Banksy.  For those of you not familiar with Banksy, he's a British graffiti artist who has made a name for himself over the past couple of decades with his political and humorous graffiti art.  Of course, there's the contingent that believe his graffiti is no different from any other graffiti and should be considered vandalism.  Then again, there's also those who really do see his work as art, including some celebrities who have bought various pieces for high dollar amounts.  The most intriguing part of all this for me is that his true identity has never been formally revealed and, while there's been speculation, nobody really knows for sure.  What I do know is that I'm attracted to various pieces he's done because they're so wonderfully British, and I enjoy the satirical humor.

There was no particular intention to purchase art last night, but these prints were very reasonably priced and yesterday was pay-day, which made this a good impulse buy!  At first, we figured it would be a good bathroom piece - (a Queen's guard peeing on a wall seems like it should be right?), but doesn't go with the planned color schemes for any of the bathrooms in the house, so it's now found it's home on the wall right outside our downstairs bathroom.  Certainly nothing wrong with having art in the house that makes you giggle!  Check out the flickr group for more pictures of Banksy's work.

1 comment :

  1. Oh my goodness! That picture is hysterical.

    ReplyDelete