Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Daily Ramblings - Beautiful Blogger Award

Thank you to Juli (a/k/a Missus Vonkysmeed) for nominating me for a beautiful blogger award.  After years of maintaining what I felt was a rather personally unsatisfying blog, I decided to start from scratch with Daily Dose Of Deuce.  I'm so excited that there are people reading and enjoying this blog.  I hope I stay interesting for you guys!  Hehe.  So, one of the neat things about this particular award is that it means I'm supposed to tell you all 10 facts about myself.  This is where things get tricky because it's actually quite hard to come up with 10 things about myself, but here we go...

1) I do not like things flying at my head.  Birds, bugs, butterflies, you name it - if it's flying around my head, I will duck, flap, squawk, and do what might be considered a good impression of a hyperactive chicken.  People have been making fun of me for this, um, condition, for years.
2) If you could whisk me off on my dream vacation to anywhere in the world, I'd go to Italy without a doubt.  I've been dreaming of wandering through Rome/Tuscany/Venice with my camera in one hand, a glass of wine in the other, sipping on coffee, holding hands with the husband in a random piazza...  A part of me almost wants to spend a day visiting all the monuments in the book Angels & Demons!
3) I've worked at a major record label in copyright & licensing for the last 9 years.  It was my first job out of college and I came into it knowing absolutely nothing.  I never would have guessed that I'd love it enough to stay this long as spending all day negotiating royalties and reading contracts certainly wouldn't have been my top choice of careers, but it's been a perfect fit.
4) Speaking of music and record labels, it's a fact that I'm completely incapable of turning down a free ticket to a concert, no matter who the artist.  One of the most random concerts that was a result of free tickets through work was Chicago with Huey Lewis & The News.  How could that not be entertaining?
5) I love Microsoft Excel and how it makes my work day easier.  I especially enjoy the challenge of writing formulas and formatting documents to do my bidding.  I'm a nerd.
6) I met my husband during the first week of freshman year in college.  My roommates and I needed a ride to a frat party.  My husband had a car.  The rest as they say is history.
7) I'm completely fascinated by the psychology of crime.  I totally love reading crime novels, or watching TV dramas and documentaries about serial killers on the Discovery Channel.  To reassure you, I do not have psychopathic tendencies - it just intrigues me.
8) Where I grew up in England is very rural and between the "high street" and my parents' house, there is only one street lamp.  It was always pretty easy to get weirded out by the darkness and, as a child, when I would see the shadows of the trees in the yard, I used to think that the child-eating giants from the BFG were coming to get me.
9) I love to cook and will try making just about anything (which those of you that read this blog have probably figured out).  What you may not know is that my attempts to bake sweet goods has never quite worked out as planned.  The good news is that I've now mostly mastered the Duncan Hines method of baking and I'm determined one day I shall learn to bake my own master pieces from scratch!
10) I am strangely addicted to watching Gordon Ramsey cooking shows.  Everything from Kitchen Nightmares to Hells Kitchen and The F Word.  He just seems like he's a very nice guy when he's not yelling at everybody.

And now that you have all this extra completely useless information about me, here are my nominations for other blogs deserving of the Beautiful Blogger Award.  You should check them out and hopefully they'll have some things to share about themselves too!

AC Engineered Knits
Army Of Knitters
Deliberately Domestic
Designs By Dianna
Indie Home Ec
Juicy Bits
Little Big Girl Studio
Raised In The Woods
Think Liz
Wife, "Mom", Knitter

5 comments :

  1. Congratulations! I kind of like Excel myself, even though it breaks my nerves often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theres something interesting about Gordon Ramsey. He gives out good advice that very few people seem to listen to and i think he must be nicer when he's not yelling or else how could he have the personality to have three shows on?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @WorstedKnitt - as the excel expert in my area, I'm always using the phrase "don't override the formula, you'll break it!!" That's when my nerves get frayed. :)

    @Implausible - he's definitely rough around the edges but when he's not in the kitchen and is having a bit of a laugh with folks, he totally comes across as endearing. It's a bit Jekyll and Hyde I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with #2, I was fortunate enough to get to Florence while on my honeymoon and both Mister Vonkysmeed and I would LOVE to go back. The art, the food, the people, oh and the gelato, such a wonderful place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy Horse! I just stumbled across this and I'm convinced we are kindred spirits.

    #1 - Ever since a bird crapped on my head one day when I was outside walking my dog, Bear, I've been afraid of things flying near my head.

    #5 - I lurved Microsoft Excel, too!

    $7 - Holy Horse! I was telling this to my friend, Jenn, last night. I am fascinated by these type of shows, too...which explains why I can't ever give up my Discovery ID, A&E and TruTV channels on my satellite dish.

    #10 - I like Gordon Ramsey, too. He just seems like he would be such a nice guy if you met him in real life.

    By the way, I would also like to say a big Thank You for listing my blog above. I am very flattered. :-)

    ReplyDelete