Saturday, July 10, 2010

Daily Art - Downtown L.A. Artwalk

In the interest of finding new and inexpensive ways to do things around Los Angeles, husband and I went to the Downtown Art Walk this week.  It's held on the second Thursday of every month and is an opportunity to wander around, check out some new art, vendors and even bands playing on street corners.  Husband has been before, but this is the first time I've been and I will definitely be there again in the future!  So, here's another post with lots of pictures to share with you all.  :)

One of the rooms, filled with art and vendors, inside the Alexandria, a noted landmark.  The installation on the back wall that you see in this photo are mixed media art by our neighbor, Tim Sabatino.

 
One of my favorite things about the vendors there were the vibrant colors and textures.  Hard not to be drawn to them really.

Many of the galleries and art spaces downtown have artists actively working on their piece while the crowds are wandering past.  As somebody who doesn't have much of a talent for drawing or painting, I'm always mystified to watch others at work.

A creative spin on the Beatles!

We finished off our adventures with a stop at a food truck.  Food trucks are all the rage in Los Angeles these days and we opted to try some Indian food.  It has to be said, I wasn't sure how good it would be, but was quite impressed by the end result.  My paratha (above) was both hot and delicious!

I'm hoping to make a visit to the art walk a monthly thing and I'm sure there will be new and different things on offer every time.  I think I'll leave my camera back pack in the car though - I now understand why turtles move slowly through a crowd....

3 comments :