Sunday, April 4, 2010

Daily Gripe - Easter egg hunt


My husband and I have never really been Easter people. Ok, well he's Jewish so that makes sense. When I was a kid back in England, I vaguely remember making soft boiled eggs and drawing silly faces on them with markers. We weren't much of an Easter family either, although it was a tradition at school to buy your best friends the hollow chocolate Easter eggs filled with whatever brand of chocolate made that egg. Invariably, it was always my favorite thing to come home on Good Friday with my little stash of chocolate eggs, Cadbury's Creme Eggs and sometimes the Kinder eggs with the little toys inside (which I'm sure are a total choking hazard, but that was never much of a concern for us!)

Since moving to the US, I've always found the Easter candy offerings to be pretty crap in comparison. The one saving grace was always the Creme Eggs going on sale and stocking up on them so that we had a small supply to last us through the following months. Today, husband and I decided to go on our own little Easter egg hunt to find the Creme Eggs on sale. We tried the 99c only store (which has always been a success in the past...I got them 8/$1 last year), Big Lots, K-Mart, Walgreens, Rite Aid and Ralph's. There were no Creme Eggs! In fact, there was hardly any Easter candy around at all, just a handful of sad looking chocolate bunnies with broken ears. The only thing there seemed to be an over-abundance of were Peeps. Probably because nobody actually eats Peeps. They are purely intended to be shoved in the microwave until they burst. If you have not tried this little trick, I highly suggest giving it a shot - but keep an eye out for the Peep getting out of control and exploding all over the microwave.
So, Easter egg hunt was an epic fail. In fact, it was somewhat unsuccessful last year as well. I think next year I'll be focusing on hard boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, poached eggs, fried eggs...but I certainly won't be spending the gas money driving around the areas surrounding my house just to walk away severely disappointed with my search for the Creme Egg.

No comments :

Post a Comment