Friday, October 14, 2011

Daily Dish - Ahi Tuna Salad

Firstly, before I share last night's culinary masterpiece, I want to wish my parents a Happy Anniversary!  They're celebrating 33 years today, and that's definitely worth a mention.  :)

Now, on to the food...
Usually when I've cooked something that looks awesome, I'll snap a shot on my phone and upload it straight to Facebook.  This meal was particularly well received, and I haven't done a recipe post in a while, so I figured I'd share.

A little while back, Living Social was doing a $10 for $20 coupon for Whole Foods.  Now, usually I don't frequent Whole Foods at all - it's just not my thing and is generally well outside my rather streamlined grocery budget.  [I also don't love the fact that in my experience, Trader Joes and Whole Foods have consistently terrible parking lots that make me crazy before I even get into the store.]  However, our entire intent with this coupon was to splurge on some fish that we wouldn't ordinarily buy at our regular grocery store...and that we did! 


Seared Ahi Tuna salad with a ginger-citrus soy dressing.
Dressing:
These are estimates, so adjust according to taste!    
1/2 cup Soy sauce
2 tbsp Sesame oil
2 tbsp Rice Vinegar
1 Lime, juiced
2 tbsp Orange juice
2 tbsp Ground ginger
1/2 tsp Black pepper
Green onion


Salad:
Spinach
Red bell pepper, sliced
Carrot, sliced
Green onion
Jalepeno, finely sliced (this is optional, but gave
it a really nice kick!)


Of course, you can really put whatever you
want in the salad, this is just what we did.


The tuna already had a ginger-soy marinade on it, so the only addition was to sprinkle some sesame seeds on it.  Then, we got a pan going nice and hot with some olive oil, then seared the fish for about a minute each side.  Once that was done, we sliced it over the salad and poured the dressing over.  Delicious AND healthy!  This is something we'll make again, should we be feeling the need to splurge.

1 comment :