So in usual slacker fashion, it took me a while to take photos and post about this, but I am excited to share my first woven items. I had originally warped up for some cotton dishcloths using some cotton cone yard bequeathed to me by a co-worker who no longer weaves. I used a little store bought cotton (which I always have to snap up when it's on sale) to make stripes and these dishcloths are the end result. There's actually 7 or 8 of them but I figured you didn't need a picture of the whole batch to get the idea. It was kind of funny to see how the last ones I did are so much better looking than the first couple. I got to try a couple of different techniques with them though - including hemstitching and using a separator between them. After I cut them off the loom, I hemmed them with a zig zag stitch on the sewing machine so hopefully they'll hold up to the task.
For those of you that don't use knit/crochet/woven dishcloths at home, I thought it was a bit of an odd concept at first - using something pretty and handmade to wash dishes; however, we're converted in our house and they get the job done without getting completely gross like sponges do. They can be tossed in the washing machine, and come out ready to go again, thus pretty eco-friendly (yay me!)
In the meantime, I've warped on another project. This time I'm going for a scarf. The yarn is a grey acrylic for the warp (length), with a couple of blue stripes, and I'm using a mohair-style acrylic in a matching grey for the weft (side-to-side). The result is really soft and my edges are much straighter, although I specifically chose this yarn because imperfections are being nicely hidden by the slight fizzy halo at each side. That's not cheating, it's ingenuity. :)