Friday, November 19, 2010

Daily Travels - North Wales (Part II)

We woke up in Caenarfon to 80mph winds and I was tired as hell on account of the cat spending half the night trying to get up onto the windowsill (read: climbing on me and sticking her tail up my nose) above my bed in the hotel.

We set off into the town center and arrived just in time for the 2 minutes of silence for Remembrance Day.  This occurs at 11am on the 11th day of November (11th month) - recalling the official end of World War I and honoring those that have died on duty in the armed forces.  If you're ever watching British tv shows around this time of year and wondering why they're wearing red poppies, this is the reason. 

Caenarfon castle is incredibly impressive, and what's great about these towns is that they were built within the protection of the castle walls.  Both Caenarfon and Conwy are coastal, and defended the northern coast of Wales from attack.  Now, the harbor serves a more peaceful purpose.
 

I wish we'd had more time to go inside the castle and wander about, but we were heading for home through Snowdonia National Park.  We'd only just started the drive when we came across this gorgeous little chapel which was so peaceful with such an amazing view - seemed to me about as perfect a final resting place as I've ever seen. 

Now, onto the rest of the drive.  I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

I'm very grateful to my parents for deciding that we needed to do some sightseeing on this trip as it definitely renewed my love for my "homeland".  While it's nice to be back to normal at home again, these images will always stay with me as a reminder of what I left behind.  

Thanks for joining me on the recap of my trip.  Now back to regularly scheduled programming!

No comments :

Post a Comment