Friday, November 26, 2010

Daily Ramblings - "Turkey day" round-up

This year was the first year of hosting Thanksgiving at our house - I knew it was only a matter of time before the family realized we hadn't done it yet!  ;)

I'd never made a whole turkey before, with my turkey repertoire up until now consisting of deli meat and reheating leftovers.  Having said that, wrapping it in bacon proved to be relatively foolproof and was very successful.  Even Deuce had his own Thanksgiving meal consisting of some turkey giblets, which he thoroughly enjoyed.  The only slightly disappointing part was the mac & cheese, which I'd pre-prepared but then forgotten to take out of the fridge to warm up some before popping in the oven.  I'm thinking that it'll make for great leftovers though so I'm not all that worried about it not being perfect on the day.  After all, getting holiday cooking 90% right isn't a bad deal.  The funny part was opening my fridge this morning and realizing that it kind of looks like we didn't eat anything.  Now we get into the post-Thanksgiving leftover cooking, which involves finding creative ways to re-purpose turkey, stuffing, and mashed potato.

In addition to being thankful for tupperware and Pyrex with lids, it's only fitting that I make note of (a few of) the other things that I'm thankful for.  I'm thankful for my family - the one I was lucky enough to be born into, the one that I married into, and those that I've adopted along the way.  I'm thankful for the husband by my side, the roof over my head, my friends and co-workers who make me smile every day.  I'm a lucky girl for sure!

No comments :

Post a Comment