Friday, October 15, 2010

Daily Dish - Fish 'N Chips!

In preparation for my upcoming trip to England, I recently decided to make some fish & chips.  This is a super simple recipe and, overall, healthier for you than regular fish and chips.  The traditional thick breaded batter, while disgustingly delicious, does somewhat detract from the benefits of the fish.  In this case, the fish is pan fried instead of deep fried.  Also, the chips are baked.  I went all out and added some peas on the side - both tasty and can be used as non-lethal projectiles as necessary!

Generally, the fish used is cod or pollack.  In this case, I used catfish because that's what we had in the house.  Any nice and meaty whitefish will work.

- Sprinkle breadcrumbs onto a plate.  I like to mix in a tiny bit of cayenne pepper for a spicy kick, although that is optional.
- In a shallow bowl, mix together one beaten egg with a little bit of milk.
- Dip the fish in the egg/milk mixture until completely coated on both sides, then cover with the breadcrumbs until there is an even layer.  Set the pieces of fish aside.
- In a deep pan, pour a nice thick layer of vegetable oil until the entire bottom of the pan is coated.  That way the fish will cook evenly.  The oil needs to be nice and hot before putting the fish in.  I like to test whether it's hot enough by flicking a little water off my fingers.  If you hear sizzling when it hits the pan, it's ready.
- Pop in the pieces of fish and cook for 4-5 minutes per side.  How long you cook it will depend on the thickness of the fish.  I like to stick a fork into the thickest part of the filet to see if the fish is flaky.  If not, add another minute or two on each side.  If it's flaky, pull it out of the pan and onto a plate!!

I can't wait to eat the "unhealthy" version of this when I get back to England because for as many times as I've eaten fish and chips at restaurants out here, it's not the same as standing on a sidewalk (or should I say "on the pavement") pulling off chunks of battered fish from a big wad of paper, piled on top of a stack of greasy chips.  Yum!

1 comment :

  1. Mmmm. I love fish n' chips. Eat an extra portion for me when you're at home.

    ReplyDelete