Monday, January 23, 2012

Daily Dish - Carrot Cake

Carrot Cake on 365 ProjectHaving mastered the pumpkin muffins that I shared last year, round 2 in my mission to learn how to bake is carrot cake.  Yes, I could have gone for something less involved, but where's the fun in that?  I'm still amazed that I actually made this, didn't burn it, or have it collapse on me.  It's not the most beautiful thing I've ever produced (i.e. I have no frosting skills) but it tastes damn good, so we'll call it a success!

I reviewed quite a few recipes online and read some of the comments/suggestions, and came up with the following recipe. Enjoy...

Carrot Cake

4 eggs
1 1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
3 cups grated carrots
1 cup chopped pecans
8oz can pineapple (drained)
1 cup raisins


  1. Preheat oven to 350.  Grease and
    flour two 9" pans.  
  2. Beat eggs, oil, sugar, and vanilla.
  3. Mix in flour, baking soda, baking
    powder, salt, and cinnamon until
    smooth.
  4. Stir in carrots, raisin and pineapple.
    (I included a couple of teaspoons of
    the pineapple juice).
  5. Fold in pecans.
  6. Bake for 40 minutes (until toothpick
    comes out clean).
  7. Cool in pan for 10 mins, then
    transfer to cooling rack to let cool
    completely.
  8. Frost!  (I used a cream cheese
    frosting recipe that I also found
    online, below).


Frosting 

1/2 cup butter
8oz cream cheese
4 cups confectioners sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract



Next up, I'll probably go back to something more basic. I sense an oatmeal raisin cookie in my future...once I've eaten all the carrot cake that is!

2 comments :

  1. OOoooh! You clever thing you, this looks delicious...it is a shame for your natural talents to go to waste...I think you are very good at this cake making malarkey! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm feeling pretty proud of myself. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete