Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Daily Craft - All done!








Remember that cardigan I was knitting in sock yarn that I thought would take me 6 months to make?  I'm proud to say that one month and six days later, I am DONE!  I think I surprised myself a little bit with this one, especially considering I didn't actually spend every day knitting obsessively and giving myself carpel tunnel.

The verdict?  I'm actually very happy with it and my only complaint would be that it's perhaps 2 inches shorter than I'd like it to be.  I should have trusted my instinct on that when I was knitting it up and gone a little longer.  Hopefully it'll stretch out a little bit with some love and washing.

Knitting a garment with sock yarn wasn't as painful as I thought it might be, and I find that lighter yarns are better for me anyway - both more flattering and better for my internal temperature control (I run warm).  I was also pleasantly surprised by how easy the DROPS pattern was to follow.  When I was a less confident knitter, I remember looking at a couple of DROPS patterns and being completely intimidated/confused.  Apart from anything, the way the patterns are laid out in a clump of text makes it all look far worse than it actually is.  I ended up cutting and pasting into a word document, which I formatted to my liking and made it much easier to follow.  They have a truly extensive database of good patterns though so I'm glad I'm over my mental block when it comes to their patterns!

I've dubbed it the "Year Round Cardi" as I suspect this will be getting lots of use.  I've got the cardigan bug now though and I'm contemplating what I may make next.  Hopefully I can finish another in a similar time frame!

4 comments :

  1. Looking good! That Cardigan is a perfect fit and the colour suits you too :) Give yourself a pat on the back. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your knitting is gorgeous! I love the length and I agree with inthesky about the color.

    Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the color and it's a very flattering style. Your knitting is very well done and the buttons are adorable. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy crap! You knit a cardigan in a month out of SOCK YARN?? It looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete