Thursday, January 16, 2014

Daily Dish - Oatmeal in a jar

Before the holidays, I'd been on a pretty fantastic weight loss curve.  Then the holidays happened and I may have over-indulged just a little.  Time to get back on track though.  I've been looking for some healthy food hacks that are quick, simple, tasty, and don't take much time to prepare.  I think it's fair to say that Pinterest will always offer up something I've never heard of before that is just crazy enough to try....and that is how "oatmeal in a jar" happened.

The beauty of this is that they're quick to prepare, easy to make ahead, healthy, inexpensive, and the possibilities are endless!  I used an 8oz mason jar and filled it with:
 - 1/4 cup uncooked oats
 - 1/4 cup almond milk
 - 1/4 cup plain whole fat yogurt (which is what we have in the house for the little one but could obviously be substituted for a low fat or greek yogurt instead)
- a dash of vanilla extract
- half a pear (which is all that would fit into the container when I was done)

Give it a good shake, then leave it in the fridge to "cook".  By my calculations, before adding the fruit, this 8oz serving was only 136 calories, but more filling than a granola bar or similar breakfast item that you might grab while heading out the door. 

Seeing as these keep for several days, it's easy to make a few days at a time, mix and match what the fillings are, then grab and go in the morning on the way to work.  I would even say that these are kid friendly so could easily be made for the whole family to enjoy.  Here's a link with some flavor combinations to try.  Enjoy!

No comments :

Post a Comment