Friday, March 22, 2013

Daily Shape - No excuses

At my 6 week post-partum appointment, I had lost 32 of the 40 lbs that I gained during pregnancy.  I figure 8 of that was baby, another 10 comprised of various fluids, and the rest a nice side effect to breast feeding. While on leave, I was thinking that I would take the little one on walks every day, or do exercise videos while he was napping.  Ha!  Not so much.  I did get in some solid walks with another mommy friend here and there, but I would hardly say that my exercise was consistent.  I even suspended my gym membership because there was no point trying to figure out when I may be able to go and they won't take Owen at the gym kids club until he's 6 months.

Cuisaid Bath Scale (courtesy of Amazon.com)
It's pretty fancy looking!
Now, nearly 5 months after giving birth, I think this is the longest that I have gone without consistently working out for years.  Even while I was pregnant, I was in the pool three times and a week and doing pilates once a week, right up until a few days before I went into labor.  Seeing as I was so good for so long, I've somewhat given myself a pass, but it is time to get back on the workout horse (so to speak).  Granted, I'm still nursing the baby, which burns a ton of calories and allows me to pig out all day without much concern.  In fact, eating too little will hinder my milk production and we don't want that.  Eventually, he will wean and I will find myself actually having to pay attention to what I eat.  Until then, caution is thrown to the wind - feed me, I'm hungry. 

Next up is to get back into consistent exercise.  I'm lucky that I still have a lot of the strength retained from prior to pregnancy so have a good foundation.  I've enrolled in mommy and me yoga, which I'm enjoying a lot more than I thought I would.  I used to find yoga horrifyingly boring, but I don't know if it can be boring when you are trying to simultaneously entertain a baby, or when another baby who happens to have learned to crawl comes racing across the room and wraps themselves around your ankle.  Holding Warrior II pose with a rattle in one hand to keep baby's attention, Chair pose with a wriggling 14lb (or so) weight in your arms, or Downward-Facing Dog while blowing raspberries at the little face below yours, is a multi-tasking challenge all of it's own.  In fact, I think it deserves bonus yoga points.  Seeing as that's only once a week though, I plan to get up a half hour early (yikes) to do Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred on weekday mornings.  As much as I kind of want to punch that woman in the face for being annoying, it's a 30 minute workout that I can do at home which seems to get great reviews.  Let's see how that goes.  

My new bathroom scale arrived this week.  I never would have thought I'd be excited about the arrival of a scale that would sit in the bathroom and taunt me on a daily basis, but I am!  As of yesterday morning, I have officially lost 47lbs.  That's 7lbs past my pre-pregnancy weight and a great start to keep the motivation going.

I'm telling you all this because it's now out in the open and, having told the world, that makes me accountable.  Going to be doing all my measurements and whatnot this weekend so I can get a fresh start next week.  Watch this space!

2 comments :

  1. Oh man- I'm in the same boat. Before I had him, I envisioned still being able to work out after work and you know, just wearing the baby or something while I did it- hahahahaha yeah right!! I admire you for getting up early enough to work out- I can't drag my butt out of bed earlier than I already do, but I desperately need to start working out again somehow. First I need to invent more time in the day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't actually done it yet so we'll see if I can convert good intention into actuality! :)

      Delete